February 23, 2011

Baked Potato Soup.



It was a perfectly crisp day yesterday & I had a craving for soup. 

When I found this recipe, I knew I would like it. Potatoes, bacon, cheese? Yes, please. Plus, the recipe reminded me of a potato cheese soup my mom makes, but much easier (sorry, mom!), so in addition to sounding good, it had a nostalgic quality, too. I bookmarked it for future reference.

It really was super easy and came together in a snap. And the results? It tasted great, totally filled us up, and warmed us from the inside out. All requirements for a great bowl of soup, I think. Plus, I love any recipe that I don't have to go to the grocery store for!

Baked Potato Soup
slightly adapted from goodLife{eats}

2 baking potatoes
1 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk, plus more, if desired
2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, plus extra for garnish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup sour cream
5 slices center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled

Preheat oven to 400°.

Pierce potatoes with a fork and bake for 1 hour or until tender. Let cool. Peel potatoes, discard skins, and coarsely mash.

Melt butter in a large dutch oven or stock pot. Add flour, whisking to combine with the butter. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes). Add potatoes, cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.

Stir in sour cream and any additional milk to reach desired consistency (I used about 1/3 C). Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated (do not boil). Add additional salt and pepper if desired. 

Sprinkle each serving with cheese & bacon.

- - - - - - - - - - 
The original recipe calls for 2% milk & reduced fat sour cream; I used skim milk & fat free sour cream, since that is what I had in my refrigerator. I also halved the recipe, since I cook for two.

3 comments:

JoAnn said...

There are days when nothing but potato soup will do! I'll have to give this recipe a try... thanks!

Michelle said...

Looks and sounds yummy. When you say baking potatoes, do you mean baked potatoes or something like a russet?

elise said...

JoAnn - Both potato soup & tomato soup (with grilled cheese) are on my top 10 list of comfort foods. I hope you like this take on it.

Michelle - The original recipe calls for baking potatoes, so I just used a couple russets.