February 8, 2011

White Chili.



I love soup. And chili. It is so comforting. But this winter, we haven't really had soup weather many days & I think I am living in one of the few places in the US that isn't under attack by snow/ice/frigid temperatures. 

But yesterday, despite our warm & sunny day, I wanted something warm and comforting, that could simmer on the stove while I did other errands and chores. I pulled out this old recipe for White Chili from Pioneer Woman. Don't you love her recipes? I haven't made something of hers that I didn't like. 

And this chili was no exception. Although, for me, it wasn't so much of a chili as it was a soup. My finished product looked nothing like hers, but it still tasted really good. The recipe calls for 7-8 cups of chicken stock; I added 8. If you are wanting more of a chili, then I would suggest adding only 7. 

White Chili

3 Cups Cooked Chicken, shredded
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
4 cloves Garlic, Minced
2 whole Cans Green Chilies, Chopped
1 pound Dried Great Northern Beans, Rinsed
8 cups Chicken Broth
1 whole Jalapeno, Sliced
1 1/2 Tbsp Ground Cumin
½ tsp Paprika
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
Salt To Taste
White Pepper, To Taste
1 cup Whole Milk
2 Tbsp Masa (corn Flour) OR Cornmeal
Grated Monterey Jack, To Taste

In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute onions and garlic for 2 minutes. Add chopped green chilies, then rinsed beans. Pour chicken broth into the pan. Add sliced jalapenos. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin. Place lid on pot and reduce heat to low.

Cook for 2 hours or until beans are done. Halfway through the cooking process, add 3 cups of cooked chicken.

When beans are tender, mix milk with masa (or cornmeal) and pour into the chili. Cook for an additional ten minutes to thicken. Check seasoning and adjust, adding cayenne pepper and paprika if desired.

Add some Monterey Jack cheese to the pot and stir to melt.

Serve chili in a bowl. Garnish with cilantro, sour cream, extra cheese, &
diced avocado.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I absolutely love White Chili. It is definitely one of my favs so I am always ready to try another recipe for one. I have a dutch oven that I technically don't know how to use (yikes). Do you just leave it on the oven for 2 hours?

Michelle said...

oops. Forgot to subscribe
.

elise said...

Michelle - I am totally jealous of your dutch oven. One has been on my wish list for way too long. But, yep. I just left the pot on low for two hours, stirring whenever I thought about it.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

What technically IS a dutch oven? I just kind of thought it was a heavier stock pot? Not sure I really have one or not. But Scott LOVES soup/stew/chili and me and baby love spicy (dang heartburn), so maybe I'll see if he wants to make this this weekend. Need to make my own "new" recipe, too! This month went too quickly!

elise said...

Trish - A dutch oven (and I am not an authority) is cast iron & so it cooks everything a lot more evenly than a normal stock pot - the heat is better distributed. And then can go from stove top to oven, so they are perfect if you want to sear meat and then slow roast it in the oven.